The following have been identified as green spaces in the Parish, which residents may like retained and protected within Your Neighbourhood Plan, in a manner appropriate to their significance, so they can be enjoyed for their contribution to the quality of life in this and future generations.
Paragraphs 76-78 of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) makes provision for local communities to identify green areas of particular importance to those communities, where development will not be permitted except in very special circumstances. Local communities through local and neighbourhood plans should be able to identify for special protection green areas of particular importance to them. By designating land as Local Green Space local communities will be able to rule out new development other than in very special circumstances. Identifying land as Local Green Space should therefore be consistent with the local planning of sustainable development and complement investment in sufficient homes, jobs and other essential services. Local Green Spaces should only be designated when a plan is prepared or reviewed, and be capable of enduring beyond the end of the plan period. The Local Green Space designation will not be appropriate for most green areas or open space. The designation should only be used:
Where the green space is in reasonably close proximity to the community it serves;
Where the green area is demonstrably special to a local community and holds a particular local significance, for example because of its beauty, historic significance, recreational value (including as a playing field), tranquillity or richness of its wildlife; and
Where the green area concerned is local in character and is not an extensive tract of land.
MAPS OF PROPOSED LOCAL GREEN SPACES:
- LGSi1: Loxwoodhills Pond, The Drive, Ifold Proposed for designation because of its particular historical importance, beauty and richness of its wildlife. It is the fishing and ornamental lake with surrounding parkland of the former Ifold Estate and its manor house – Ifold House (c1812 – 1936), which gives the settlement of Ifold its name. It includes designated Ancient Woodland located to the rear of adjoining residential properties sited on the historic road of The Drive. It is part of Headfoldswood Ancient Woodland and includes lone veteran trees. This Ancient Woodland contributes significantly to the predominant sylvan character of the Ifold settlement and is environmentally sensitive.
- LGSi7: Ancient Woodland in the centre of Ifold Adjoining and/or part of the rear gardens of residential properties located on the historic roads of The Ride and Chalk Road; and on The Close, Ifold. Ancient & Semi-Natural Woodland. This is a habitat area for rare and declining species – Turtle Dove. Ancient Woods have been around for many centuries (officially woodland that has existed since 1600 AD) – long enough to develop as ecosystems that are rich, complex, and irreplaceable. This particular Ancient Woodland is noted on a 1910 and earlier maps of Ifold and links back to a larger area of Ancient Woodland called South Wood, which then adjoined the manorial Ifold Estate with Ifold House. This remaining woodland section contributes significantly to the predominant sylvan character of the Ifold settlement. It provides foraging for protected bat species whose flight lines are over Ifold leading to SAC: The Mens and Ebernoe Common. Development in this does have the potential to impact upon bat (Bechstein and particularly, Barbastelle) flight lines due to the close proximity to the SAC.
- LGSi9: Landmark Oak Tree, The Drive, Ifold: An historic, veteran Oak tree located at the main entrance to Ifold private estate. The tree, Quercus robur, is a lone veteran tree, one of the remaining members of the ancient forest known as South Wood and of great importance to the people of the Parish. It is a landmark for residents and visitors, announcing the Ifold hamlet and is in replace of a typical ornamental village sign.
- LGSP1: Plaistow Recreation Area (the lower green) including the childrens’ playground. The land was gifted to the Parish Council by George Price Webley Hope KCB KCMG Admiral RN (Retired) of Common House, Plaistow in 1951. The property is held upon Trust for the purposes of physical and mental training and recreation and social moral and intellectual development through the medium of athletic games, sports and pastimes or otherwise as may be found expedient for the benefit of the inhabitants of the village of Plaistow and its immediate vicinity without distinction of sex or of political religious or other opinions.
- LGSP2: Cox’s Pond (Plaistow village pond): The pond forms a focal point in Plaistow village and is within the Conservation Area. It is registered as Common Land in the ownership of Plaistow & Ifold Parish Council. It is based on a spring but also takes surface water run off from Loxwood Road as well as the adjoining field. A stream called Dunnell’s Ditch runs from this pond in an easterly direction before disappearing under Loxwood Road. The views northwards from Loxwood Road across the village pond and into the green field beyond are considered of note in the Plaistow Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Proposal (May 2013).
- LGSP5: ‘Foxfields’ – Football Field, Dunsfold Road, Plaistow: Home of Plaistow Football Club, formed in 1931 and admitted to the Horsham and District League. The team currently competes in the West Sussex Football League and plays home games at ‘Foxfields’ playing field which is set in the centre of the village. Designation of Foxfields for recreational use brings a benefit of enhancing the vitality of this rural Parish. It therefore fulfils a Social role, as per the NPPF, supporting the community’s health, social and cultural well–being.
- LGSP6: Nell Ball Hill with Trig Point, Dunsfold Road, Plaistow: An important historic landmark for Plaistow village and the Parish. Old maps refer to Nell Ball as Knells Knoll and later, Knell Ball. A modern housing development in Plaistow village is named Nell Ball after the knoll. Nell Ball has always been used as agricultural, grazing land. There is much local legend regarding the hill. It has been used as a Beacon Site for special occasions and was a look-out point during World War II. During winter snowfall, local children have used the hill for sledding. There are 360 degree views, particularly special are those across Foxfields (the local football field) and towards Blackdown (the highest hill in Sussex). The site has such special significance for residents, that one local lady had her husband’s ashes scattered atop the hill after his death. Any landowner is encouraged to be a custodian.
- LGSP7: Multi-Use, Outdoor, Games Area, Plaistow: This is an outdoor, flood-lit games area at the rear of the Winterton Hall with a hard court surface and fencing surround. Used for tennis, netball, 5-a-side football and other games. Used and maintained by the Plaistow Youth Club, the area may also be hired through Plaistow Stores, alongside. This games area provides a valued, safe, outdoor recreational facility for use by Youth Club members and Parish residents.
- LGSP8: Plaistow Preschool Playground, Plaistow: An outdoor, fenced playground with garden, dedicated for the use of Plaistow Pre-School and adjoined to The Winterton Hall. Established in 1966, Plaistow Pre-School is a community-based, voluntary, non-profit making charity; operating from The Winterton Hall and offering affordable care and education for 2 to 5 year olds. Many children who progress to the Primary School are collected from morning sessions for the afternoon in the Pre-School. This site is integral to young families in the community and meets the NPPF Social role of sustainable development.
- LGSS1: Shillinglee Junction, Shillinglee – Intersection of Shillinglee Road with Plaistow Road (which joins Fisher Lane) forming a triangle traffic island. Hundreds of years of horses, carts, carriages and then cars turning left and right have created these mini oases at country junctions. Largely untouched, they can provide a haven for wild flowers and insects. The original elm trees died from Dutch elm disease but local residents have since planted new trees on the site. Designation is proposed to preserve the setting and special character of this part of the Parish that lies within the South Downs National Park and alongside listed buildings of historic importance.