LGSi5 [reviewed and discounted]: Barn Wood, Ifold (Ancient Woodland): adjoining Poundfield Wood (Semi-natural Woodland). This woodland is noted on a 1910 map of Ifold, and was then part of the lands of Ifold Estate and its manor, Ifold House. It is an important Ancient Woodland belt behind residential development, contributing to biodiversity and acts as a woodland wildlife corridor as it provides foraging for protected bat species whose flight lines are over Ifold leading to SAC: The Mens and Ebernoe Common. As a result, development should be resisted and mitigation for lighting requirements is recommended be implemented in the surrounding residential properties. This Ancient Woodland maintains the rural, countryside character and the sylvan setting of the Ifold settlement. The woodland is enjoyed by local residents for informal recreational use from a Public Right of Way (Footpath Number: 624).
LOCAL GREEN SPACE ASSESSMENT: LGSi5 – Barn Wood, Ifold (Ancient Woodland)
- Standing Advice for Ancient Woodlands and Veteran Trees (Reference: StAdv/AWVT/NE/Apr2014) – 14 Apr 2014: National Ancient Woodland and Veteran Tree Standing Advice covering England issued by Natural England and the Forestry Commission in April 2014 (replacing the previous version issued by Natural England for the south east of England).
- Chichester District Council Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (2014)
- Habitat Regulation Assessment Chichester District Council – Site Allocation Development Plan. Pages 25-26; 37-38; Ebernoe Common SAC Pages 42-47; The Mens SAC Pages 49-52; and Conclusions Page 55 are relevant for Plaistow & Ifold Parish. – November 2015
- Proposed Local Green Spaces Ifold
- Map 1910 Ifold (© Copyright The Francis Frith Collection)
- Defra magic map: Barn Wood (© Copyright Ordnance Survey)
- Defra magic map No.2 (© Copyright Ordnance Survey)
- Defra magic map No.3 (© Copyright Ordnance Survey)
- Public Rights of Way (PROWs): Barn Wood (WSCC Public rights of way imap)
- Map of the Ancient Woodlands in the Parish
PHOTOS: All photos are courtesy of Mr. Phil Colmer unless stated otherwise.
Aerial Photo – LGSi5: Barn Wood, Ifold (Ancient Woodland).